Cape Croker Lighthouse
The first lighthouse was built at this north entrance to Colpoy's Bay in 1898, and in 1902 the Cape Croker light that still stands today was built on a sharp rise near the Georgian Bay shoreline. Dominating the smooth, white eight-sided tower is the beautiful, huge lantern room enclosed by dozens of square glass panes. A Fresnel lens shows clearly through the windows, its green beam stretching over the water below. Supporting the lantern room is a red steel-sided room surrounded by a red railing. That room in turn stands on an octagonal platform - also with a red railing -- that overhangs the tower walls. Just below that walkway is a rectangular window with thick, red trim, and added to the base of the tower is a tiny access room, its sloping roof barely topping the red entry door. The 53-foot-high structure is capped by a red dome topped with a weathervane. The still-active lightstation includes a small, white one-story keeper's house.
Accessibility: Access restricted - viewing only - accessible by car
From Hwy 6, follow Cty Rd 9 east north of Wiarton - turn left on Cty Rd 18, right on Puple Valley Rd and Right on McIver Rd. Follow signs to All R's convenience store and ask for local directions.