Strawberry Island Lighthouse
The Strawberry Island lighthouse, established in 1881, sits at the northern edge of the 8-square-mile Strawberry island, close enough to the turquoise water to feel the splash from waves washing the gravelly shoreline. A fringe of grasses and small bushes line the shore, while behind the lighthouse, a grove of towering hardwoods provides some shade. The sides of the 40-foot-tall, white pyramidal tower are decorated with rows of red-trimmed windows, while the red walkway and lantern room dominate the top. Glass panes open up only the front half of the lantern room to view; the back is enclosed by siding. Attached at the back of the tower is the white 1 ½ story keeper's house. The roof of a small addition angles down off the rear of the house, and a beautiful stone foundation supports the entire structure.
Northern edge of Strawberry Island just off the north end of Manitoulin